Jamie Oliver is most definitely my idol when it comes to chefs and cooking! So this will definitely NOT be the last recipe I post coming from him… I’ve made tons of recipes of his and you’ll see lots of them posted here in the future because his recipes are so good and healthy! Usually he also adjusts the recipes a bit according to his likings, like adding the courgettes to a carbonara in this particular recipe.
I chose to post this particular recipe today because I’ve had it in a book called ‘Jamie At Home’ for a long while now but never tried it.
This is a cheap recipe ideal for people on a budget, like students etc.
So here is the recipe for Jamie’s Courgette carbonara:
- Salt & pepper
- 2-3 normal sized courgettes, cut roughly the same size as the penne
- 500 gr penne
- 4 large free-range egg yolks
- around 70-80 ml of cream
- small handful of freshly grated parmesan
- olive oil
- 200-300 grams of pancetta or smoked bacon, cut into lardons (or as much as you want to add)
- a bunch of fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- Optional: I also added a small white onion and a glove of garlic, both finely chopped to add a little more veggies
- Put a large pot with salted water to the boil (make sure to use enough salt when boiling pasta) and add your pasta. Cook it according to the packet instructions
- While the water is coming to the boil, start cutting your veggies and lardons
- Add the yolks, the parmesan and the cream to a bowl and mix together
- Fry the lardons in a large pot, which can fit the entire dish, until dark brown and crispy
- Add the onions and garlic and allow them to soften a bit
- Add the courgette and a good big pinch of pepper to give the pasta a kick
- Sprinkle over the thym leaves en give everything a stir until they are lightly golden and have softened a bit
Get the next steps exactly right or your carbonara could be ruined completely!
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and keep some of the cooking water
- Toss the pasta in the pot with the courgettes etc
- Take the pot from the heat and wait until it has stopped frying (you can hear the pot making less and less noise)
- Add the carbonara mixture and a ladleful of the cooking water to the pot and mix this together quickly until it forms a silky and shiny sauce (add more cooking water if needed)
- Have one last quick taste and adjust the seasoning if needed
- Serve quickly